Thursday, October 21, 2010
The secret renovation has begun. Well, not so secret, really, since it is posted here. But Brynn doesn't read the blog, so it's still a secret for her. We're keeping the door closed when she is at home and, thus far, she's resisted the urge to sneak a peak. It may have something to do with me telling her that I always used to sneak around to find my birthday and Christmas presents before they were wrapped, and I ruined the surprise every time. Actual surprises are a lot more fun than fake surprises.
She wants to know what's going on in here, though. She has been asking me every day, "What did you do in my room today?" I'm not telling. I mean, I'm not telling HER. Here's what I've done so far: disassembled her closet organizer and moved it into the hallway, removed the trim from around the closet, pulled up the carpet and carpet padding, removed the carpet padding staples, filled the holes in the walls, vacuumed the dust and grime and chunks of drywall and staples, cleaned the white trim and bead board, painted the white trim and bead board, and painted the walls. Actually, Scott helped me paint the walls (he's my roller guy), so I haven't done it all myself.
These photos, of course, don't show the new color. The new color is Restoration Hardware "Lilac." I was slightly worried that it would be too gray. Next to the more lavender-y paint samples, it looks gray, for sure. Next to white, it looks lavender. But not overwhelming this-is-a-little-girl's-room, here-have-a-Skittle lavender. It's a relaxing, close-your-eyes-and-take-a-deep-breath-of-lavender (as in, the flower) lavender. If Brynn had been allowed to choose, she would have picked out Crayola marker purple. Hopefully she won't be disappointed.
I'm planning to build a lot of furniture for this room. So much furniture that I'm contemplating investing in a paint sprayer (unless one of you owns one I can borrow?). I'm building some bookcases (one for Callie's room, one for Brynn's -- the cheap particle board ones we bought six years ago are shot), a lofted reading nook (like a lofted bed, only shorter), and a desk to go under the reading nook. I've got a plan for a desk chair, which I may alter to accommodate an upholstered seat. I'm sure a few other projects will come up along the way. Like, some way to make the closet organizer work again. Brynn used to use the drawers as stairs to get to stuff at the top of her closet -- stuff I put up high so that she wouldn't get to it. The drawers are busted and not replaceable because the company that makes them went out of business. And they seem to be a non-standard size, of course. So, I'm trying to get creative and think of ways to keep the bulk of the organizer without losing the drawer storage. Challenges.
Here's a photo of the chair I'm going to build. I wasn't going to post it yet, but if you've read this far, you deserve this eye candy.
I'm planning to add a footrest to the front, and the upholstered seat...I think. That is still to be determined.
If I can find a way to get the big hunk of carpet out of the room, I'll start laying hardwood tomorrow. Cross your fingers.