Because I was doing this by myself, I didn't take many in-process photos. I did use lots of scraps lying around me to help hold up one end of the frame as I bolted the other side to the posts. Also, while Jamin and Ashley (my inspiration) used lag screws to put their floor together, I ended up using joist hangers meant for a deck, because it was easier for a one-person job than using lag screws.
|Frame for the bunk-alow floor, as seen from our patio.|
In order to complete the floor, I had to buy 10 Redwood 2x6s to piece in with the reclaimed wood from the kids' old fort plus two joists since my reclaimed ones were (heartbreakingly) two inches too short. This was an unfortunate turn of events, especially since old decks are being torn down every day and I probably could have scrounged up some decent used lumber instead of buying new. But...sometimes trolling Craigslist gets old and you just want to get a job done.
So I bit the bullet and bought some new lumber.
To finish off the floor, I added a skirt made from a friend's old cedar fence. From our patio the bunk-alow sits up pretty high. I wanted the underside of the floor to be hidden because, while nobody else would notice it, it would distract me. So the old cedar fence found a new home and the bunk-alow got a more solid look.
|The skirt. I'm looking forward to seeing some perennials growing in that dirt!|
Next up, the saga of the stairs.
Psst...click here for all of the Backyard Bunk-alow posts!